The Conservatives are set to lose their overall majority, while remaining the largest party in Westminster, BBC forecasts suggest.
The Conservatives are expected to end the night with 316 seats, Labour with 265, the SNP with 34 and the Lib Dems with 13. Parties require 326 seats to command a majority.
The Tories will have fewer seats than when Prime Minister Theresa May called the election. Her party may be dependent on Northern Irish Unionist support to maintain its position in office.
Based on analysis by professor of politics John Curtice and his team, these are the undeclared seats where the main parties are still likely to make gains or where the result is too close to call. All parties could make gains in those seats currently being described as too close to call.
Seats forecast as of 05:32 BST
Forecast Conservative gains
We are forecasting one Conservative gain from those seats yet to declare. It is in Scotland.
- Projected: Dumfries & Galloway 99% chance of a Conservative victory
Sorry, your browser cannot display this content.
Find your result
Enter a postcode or seat name
Forecast as too close to call
There are seven seats yet to declare that our predictions show as being too close to call.
Seats forecast too close to call: Conservative held in 2015
- Chipping Barnet, the Conservatives have a 59% chance of victory, Labour has a 41% chance of victory
- Crewe & Nantwich, the Conservatives have a 70% chance of victory, Labour has a 30% chance of victory
- Kensington, the Conservatives have a 63% chance of victory, Labour has a 37% chance of victory
- Richmond Park, the Conservatives have a 42% chance of victory, the Liberal Democrats have a 58% chance of victory
- Southampton Itchen, the Conservatives have a 53% chance of victory, Labour has a 47% chance of victory
Seats forecast too close to call: Labour held in 2015
- Newcastle-Under-Lyme, the Conservatives have a 59% chance of victory, Labour has a 41% chance of victory
Seats forecast too close to call: SNP held in 2015
- Fife North East, the Conservatives have a 38% chance of victory, the Liberal Democrats have a 37% chance of victory, the SNP has a 25% chance of victory
Analysis for this page is carried out by professor of politics John Curtice, of Strathclyde University, and his team.
The BBC/ITV/Sky exit poll is conducted by asking a random sample of voters at one of 144 polling locations scattered around the country to complete in private a mock ballot paper to indicate how they just voted.
Nearly all the locations are ones in which the 2015 exit poll was also conducted. The share of the vote recorded for each party at each polling location this time around is compared with the share obtained in the 2015 exit poll in order to derive 144 estimates of change in support for each party.
These estimated changes in vote share are then statistically modelled to (i) ascertain any systematic geographical variation in the estimated changes in vote shares, and (ii) derive estimated vote shares for every party in every constituency in Great Britain.
From the latter, the probability as to which party will win each seat is derived. For each party the exit poll forecast of seats won is the sum of these probabilities of winning across all constituencies.
Once declarations begin, forecasts are then based on a combination of exit poll and real results.